db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dan Allen <...@mojavelinux.com>
Subject Re: getting id of MAX entry (try ORDER BY)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:47:31 GMT
Actually, I figured it out and it makes TOTAL sense.  The limit and
offset are applied after the query is executed (unless the database
has the ability to take advantage of this inside the database API
and then it does so) and before the object collection is created.
That is perfect for what I need.  I already know that a database
does not suffer from returning all the rows versus only a subset if
kept inside the native database result set...it is only when
capturing a row out of the native result set that costs money and
the torque API handles this perfectly.  So now I am no longer afraid
of the setLimit() and setOffset() since I know that they are applied
between the query and the creation of the collection of
objects...PERFECT!

Dan

Daniel Allen, <dan@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/
umm... i guess this is my signature. 8-}