db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dan Allen <...@mojavelinux.com>
Subject proposed generator changes
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:23:32 GMT
I have been working with the build-torque.xml file and despite the
warning, I find myself needing to change it.  Here is why:

1. I believe that one of the directories defined should be a data
directory, where the data dumps (sql, xml and dtd) are stored.  I
would use the following definition

torque.output.dir = src
torque.sql.dir = ${torque.output.dir}/sql
torque.schema.dir = ${torque.sql.dir}/schema
torque.data.dir = ${torque.sql.dir}/data

This would give the following structure

src/
    sql/
        sqldb.map
        schema/
            project-schema.xml
            project-schama.sql
        data/
            project-data.xml
            project-data.dtd
            project-data.sql

To me, that makes the most sense.  Right now the files are a mess
and all over the place.

2. When the xml data dump is created, it is making a file like

project-database-all-data.xml

This totally messes up the datasql task since it looks for a file
called

project-data.xml

This to me seems like a bug.

3. There should be a target called data-backup which runs datadump,
datadtd and datasql so that you can go through the whole process of
getting a backup of the data currently in the database.

4. It would seem to me like a datarestore target should be created
that is divorced form insert-sql, since that doesn't really make
intuitive sense.  I would think they should be broken up as

create-tables
data-restore

5. The names are inconsistent.  you have

create-db
insert-sql

and then

datadump
datasql
datadtd

Are we doing to use the hypen or are we not?  Let's decide and stick
with it.  So here is how I envision the tasks looking

create-db
create-tables
data-restore
data-backup
    data-dump
    data-dtd
    data-sql

My 2 cents.  "If this ain't the right place for it, let me know
where is."

Dan

Daniel Allen, <dan@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/
umm... i guess this is my signature. 8-}