db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Keeney, Thomas" <Keen...@SEC.GOV>
Subject RE: Possible Connection Leak
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:56:49 GMT
Robert,

I wrote a similar cron job for Jetspeed/Torque awhile back.  Check your code
to make sure that connections retrieved for Torque are released after use.
In older versions of Torque you have to release connections manually if
you're retrieving connections from a database other than the default.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you post the source or more details so we can
investigate further.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Crawford [mailto:crawford@kloognome.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 2:14 PM
To: torque-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Possible Connection Leak

We have an application based on Jetspeed that periodically (every 5
minutes) updates the user list from another system. In testing, and for
short terms, everything works perfectly. However, after about two days
of continuous operation, the system can no longer make a connection to
the local MySQL database, making it impossible for users to log in.

There were no errors in the MySQL log, so we suspected the problem had
to do with Torque. We set up a test machine identical to the client's
machine and started the application there. The next day, we had the same
error.

Running netstat showed a few screens full of connections to MySQL.
Trying to connect to MySQL manually failed, also, with a "too many
connections" error.

MySQL has a default limit of 100 connections. We have Torque configured
to a limit of 10 connections at once.

It appears there's a leak in the Torque connection pool. Has anyone else
run into this before? Any recommendations on where to start looking to
fix it?