db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>
Subject RE: import/export with schema transformation
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:40:46 GMT
Two questions:

1.  Are you looking to do this from a turbine service, or as part of a build
2.  Castor was mentioned the other day.  Did you look into it, and if so,
what has caused you to no longer consider it?  (just curious on this last

I started a thread called 'Syncing the local DB from a remote DB' in
October.  Colin Chalmers mentioned that he had used torque, castor and
xml-rpc to sync remote databases.  You might be able to use some of his

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Emminger [mailto:eric@ericemminger.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 11:48 AM
To: Torque Users List
Subject: import/export with schema transformation

I'm trying to find an easy way to do the following.

1. import a data set into the database (e.g. from XML to PostgreSQL)
2. export a data set from the database (e.g. from PostgreSQL to XML)
3. transform the schema of a data set
3.1. rename columns/properties
3.2. convert a flat file into several related tables. Essentially, this
would normalize the data before import.

I know that Torque can export data with the datadump task and import
with the combination of the datasql and insert-sql tasks. However, I
haven't seen a solution to the transformation need.

Unless a solution already exists, I'm interested in adding this
functionality to Torque or whatever makes sense. Commons anyone?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, ideas, etc.

Eric Emminger