db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>
Subject RE: import/export with schema transformation
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:40:46 GMT
Two questions:

1.  Are you looking to do this from a turbine service, or as part of a build
process?
2.  Castor was mentioned the other day.  Did you look into it, and if so,
what has caused you to no longer consider it?  (just curious on this last
one)

I started a thread called 'Syncing the local DB from a remote DB' in
October.  Colin Chalmers mentioned that he had used torque, castor and
xml-rpc to sync remote databases.  You might be able to use some of his
ideas.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Emminger [mailto:eric@ericemminger.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 11:48 AM
To: Torque Users List
Subject: import/export with schema transformation

I'm trying to find an easy way to do the following.

1. import a data set into the database (e.g. from XML to PostgreSQL)
2. export a data set from the database (e.g. from PostgreSQL to XML)
3. transform the schema of a data set
3.1. rename columns/properties
3.2. convert a flat file into several related tables. Essentially, this
would normalize the data before import.

I know that Torque can export data with the datadump task and import
with the combination of the datasql and insert-sql tasks. However, I
haven't seen a solution to the transformation need.

Unless a solution already exists, I'm interested in adding this
functionality to Torque or whatever makes sense. Commons anyone?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, ideas, etc.

Eric

--
Eric Emminger
eric@ericemminger.com