db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Peter S. Hamlen" <pham...@mail.com>
Subject RE: build successful but no table in the data base.
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:24:40 GMT
Vinod,

The build process for Torque is a several step process:
1)  Generate the SQL to build the database
2)  Generate the OM classes for the database
3)  Create the database (either via ant or "run manually")

For step 3, there is an ant task that can create it - I don't know if
this works with Oracle or not.  In my case (Postgresql with some
Torque modifications), it does not.  Therefore, I create the database
 "manually".

"Manually" means that I take the generated SQL files and run them
myself.  In the case where I have an already existing database and I've
added a table, then I extract only the relevant "CREATE" scripts and
then run those.

Usually, in a production environment (ie, a database where tables
already exist with data in them), you don't want to use the automated
ant-task because it will drop the entire database and then recreate it.
So I believe most Torque users end up doing the "manual" thing at some
point.

Note that you don't want to write your own "create" statements - we're
not suggesting that you do things completely manually.  You should use
the SQL statements generated by Torque, but you need to run them
manually.

Hope this helps.

-Peter
On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 07:54, Vinod_Thapliyal wrote:

> Even I ran the Sql scripts for the Jetspeed tables and populated the tables manually.
But, then I again created one new schema file for one more table. The build was successful
and all the OM classes (for the new table) were there. But, the table was not created. So,
does it mean that every time I want to create a table I need to manually create and populate
the tables and use the build only to generate OM classes?

> If this is the case then there is no need the sql files generated by torque during the
build process.

> Is it that I only need to copy the OM classes generated to my already existing OM classes
(including the map builder class for my table).