db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Bill Schneider <bschnei...@vecna.com>
Subject Re: Examples of Torque based solutions
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:51:09 GMT
Steve,

We've been using Torque commercially for similar types of applications:
read-intensive JSP front ends, frequent but simple queries with small result
sets, and not too many db writes.  We've used it successfully as a runtime
O/R mapper in a telemedicine consultation system, a system for on-line
medical appointments, and a timesheet entry/reporting system.

In general Torque is a win for this type of application because it gets a
framework for db reads and writes up and running quickly.  Torque starts to
break down when your queries get complex--once you get beyond a simple
find-by-key or find-by-value test, the SQL might be a lot simpler than the
right Criteria object.

Also, as your load increases, bind variables become imperative, so you don't
hose the database with parsing and compiling the same queries repeatedly.
Torque has some support for bind-variable based queries but doesn't make it
easy.  Still, Torque has still held up better for us in terms of both
performance and stability than comparable systems with EJB CMP.  Until a
system reaches critical mass of size or complexity, the overhead of entity
beans is a lose.  Torque often wins because it's simple and lightweight.  I
am also eager to try out OJB to compare.

One important thing to keep in mind with JSP apps is to be careful if you
session-scope any Torque objects for performance reasons.  It's critical to
remember the Torque objects only contain a snapshot of the persistent state
when the object was instantiated.  Different sessions might have a different
snapshot of the same row which could diverge and potentially clober each
other when re-saved.  Especially if you have a multi-JVM cluster.  This is
generally not a problem as long as you use session-scoping with caution.

-- Bill