db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Ben Litchfield <...@csh.rit.edu>
Subject Upgrade script
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:12:05 GMT

Is it, or could it be possible for torque to generate an upgrade script.
For example, let's say I deploy version1.0 of my application to
production.

I am now happily working on version2.0 and add a few columns to support
features.  At some point I need to upgrade the production schema to the
version2.0 schema but I obviously can't run the script that is normally
generated by torque because it only drops/creates tables.

What would be nice is if I could feed schema1.0.xml and schema2.0.xml to a
torque task and it would create a script that would only run the commands
needed to bring the schema up to date.  Something like

ALTER TABLE blah ADD name VARCHAR(200) //or whatever

Has this been thought about?  Is it possible?  What are other's thoughts
on something like this?

Ben Litchfield