db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Schneider" <bschnei...@vecna.com>
Subject Re: Torque beans & OJB
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:29:28 GMT
This is an excellent question and probably depends to a large extent on what
kind of SOAP toolkit you're using.  Perhaps you could rig the Velocity
templates that spit out Java objects, such that they create an interface for
each data object with just the get/set methods, and the actual Torque
objects implement these get/set methods.  Any copy-from-object methods in
the Torque objects would have to accept the interface rather than the Torque
type.

Then you would define your SOAP service as accepting or returning objects
that implement that interface with only get/set methods.

-- Bill

> I'll need to transfer the data beans through soap serialization from the
> back-end to some front-end sites. The Torque generated classes however are
> not pure data beans. They have a save method and other functionality in
the
> super classes. They also import certain torque classes. This would mean
all
> the front-end clients would need to have the torque jar installed. It
would
> also make serialization/mapping a lot harder. Is there a way to easily map
> these classes to pure data beans (with nothing but getters/setter for
their
> properties), without manually creating and mapping these (which would
sorta
> nullify the benefit of having your classes generated)?
>
> Secondly, what exactly is the difference between Jakarta Torque and
Jakarta