db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Russell Edens <Russe...@concur.com>
Subject RE: Manager Status
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:59:34 GMT
The Managers code in CVS is not ready for production.
We have locally changed the implementation so that it works for our usage.

Issues we addressed:
Only the xxxx.save() methods update the cache.  Any use of the peer
interface for update/insert/delete does nothing to the cache.  Note this
means that delete was not working at all.

The fix here was to move the cache updates into the peer interfaces.

The valid fields and notify listener code was tedious to implement...so we
changed the default behavior to notify regardless of fields.  If you put a
listener on an object...you will get notified.  (Pushing this code down into
the generate base simplified the cache implementations greatly.)

We added to the Manager interface doSelect methods.  By default they punt to
the peer.  This way developers can just user xxxManager.doSelect and then if
it is decided that that element should be cached it can be done without
updating all the references in the code base.

Also related to our cache patches - we have patched Peers to provide narrow
updates and inserts.  The data objects track the fields that are modified an
then issue only those fields for update.  Inserts we only insert the fields
that were modified...this allows the database to handle nullable fields and
default values.  (This one is not too big a deal...except for dates when a
date needs to be synced on a single machine clock.)

We decided to introduce an intermediate layer between the peer and object
base and the empty derived extension objects.  This allows us to generate
variations above the torque provided layer.  Our ideal world would be to
have the torque list accept all these patches.

Russell