db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <Thomas....@seitenbau.net>
Subject RE: Planning
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:47:54 GMT

Greg Monroe wrote:

> > 1) It is still undecided whether we want to include documentation with
the
> >    binary releases. Currently they only contain the jar and their
> >    dependencies.
>
> AFAIK, there is no requirement for this. I do think it's important for
folks
> to be able to be able to access offline docs for a specific version. But
the
> binary jars does not seem to be the right place for this. I'd say that
there
> docs should be in the source or a separate download and the binary distro
> readme should point to where they can be downloaded.

Ok, I'll see what I can do. Not sure how this would complicate the build
process. I'll have a look.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE-237

> > 3) We need to switch the site publishing mechanism to svnpubsub until
the
> >    end of year [1]. So some change in the site publishing mechanism is
> >    needed. We need to consider the following:
> >  - We need a location for the site in svn (currently the "default
> location"
> >    db/torque/site is occupied by the torque 3 site project, see also
(5))
> >  - We probably want to retain the documentation for older releases
> >  - It should be no hassle to create a new site version directory (as we
now
> >    have for the old docs of 3.1, 3.2, and the new 4.0 but not the
current
> >    3.3 docs)
>
> The strategy Thomas F proposes seems OK. E.g. site-svnpubsub with subdirs
for
> each release. Maybe scm-site or site-scm would be a shorter name?

I have now used site-scmpublish as a temporary name. It seems, however,
that the final location will be at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/db/torque, so this
directory will go away.

> BTW - Did any notices of the beta release go out?  E.g. in the site news
and
> to torque-users?  If folks don't know it's there, they probably won't
test
> with their local code.

Yes, there were messages sent to the dev and user lists, as well as an
announcement on the news page on the torque web site..

> > 5) Do we want to reorganize svn by putting the torque 3 resources into
> >    separate place ?
>
> +1... but we should make sure it's well noted in the site.  This means
> that folks with local projects that pull from svn will need to update
> their local settings.  When such stuff breaks, it should be easy to find
> a notice that the structure has changed.
>
> Maybe there should be some "pre-notices" too.  E.g, a note on the site,
> to this list, and to torque-user that the svn structure will change on
> a specific date (or date range).

ok, will do that.

> > 6) I'd like to improve the online docs further by dropping the strict
> >    separation between modules in the docs.
>
> +1 - I think this would allow for some needed overview and "rabbit trail"
> type organization.  E.g., what to read to understand using torque
> vs what to read for modifying/developing topics.
>
> I think we sort of have this now, but you have to understand which
> sub-project you need... which you don't until you start learning things.
Lol.

Yes, this is one of the problems I'd like to adress.

   Thomas