db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <Thomas....@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: ready for 4.0-alpha1 ?
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 20:33:15 GMT
Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> On 14.05.12 06:12, Thomas Fox wrote:
> >> - Debugging the template code is a PITA.
> >
> > Hm, always has been, at least for me... Not being a velocity guy, I
always
> > run the test project and checked the outcome...
> > What exactly is the problem ? Templates organization(finding things) ?
>
> It is easy to forget something. For example, yesterday I changed several
> method calls in the static methods of the managers. Then I removed the
> obsolete methods. Naturally I forgot to fix some calls. This only gets
> visible when I build and install the templates package and then run the
> test project.
>
> Would it be possible to provide some kind of unit tests for the
> templates? E.g. for the Java code, I could imagine to just generate a
> set of classes (managers and beans) and try to compile them. This would
> at least care for the rough cases.

Well, one of the two test cases actually generates code by the templates...
which at least checks that there is no velocity syntax error. I have no
idea hwether java compilation from a test case is straightforward or not...
I will have to check.

> > An then there's the change log (changes.cml via jira) question still
open.
> > Do we want to continue use changes.xml in the future or do we want to
use
> > the jira change log... ?
>
> I understand you are trying to keep the changelog in JIRA. I'm a bit
> ambivalent on this one. I find the changes.xml files, reports and
> announcements easy to handle and easy to read. But this is my personal
> preference. As you are the one who does most of the work right now, you
> are the one to decide this.

I'll think about it. I have come to get used to a jira-based changelog at
$work but htat does not mean it has to be the same at torque...

I'll be offline the next couple of weeks from now on.

    Thomas