db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <Thomas....@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: ready for 4.0-alpha1 ?
Date Sun, 13 May 2012 10:04:05 GMT

Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> On 13.05.12 10:28, Thomas Fox wrote:
> > I am wondering whether we are ready for an alpha1 release of Torque 4.

> I was hoping to have a new JCS release ready for Torque 4.0 but I don't
> want to prevent any progress here.

There's still some time. And, as it is not Torque 4.0, we can still include
a new jcs release there

> So go ahead. Any by the way, I think
> from what you've done, this is much more that alpha1.

hm, I would not call it "RC". "beta1", then ?

> > - Build process needs to be updated (current build installs also tars
> > zips to the maven repo)

> I wouldn't invest too much here. At Turbine we do the same thing. I
> personally find it better to have all things available at one place. At
> the end of the day, this is what Maven was meant to be. And some manual
> copies to www.apache.org/dist are not that difficult.

I'll invest a bit of time to see whether this can be fixed with the antrun
plugin. If it works, fine, if not, we can still decide that the current
build process is good enough. I'd also like to add gpg signing into the
build process.

> > - documentation needs to be revised(needs this to be complete before
> > release ?)

> Well, this is certainly an issue. With Turbine 4.0 we learned that a
> migration guide is essential for a major release. Dunno whether this
> must be complete for an alpha-release or not.

There is a minimal migration guide. I am not aware of any major issues not
contained there, but I am certain I have missed something...

Also, I have forgotten one thing: The BaseManager interface does not look
very typesafe to me, it uses a lot the Persistent interface, and casts are
needed to the correct OM type. Maybe this could be improved by generifying
the BaseManager class... But then I have never used managers, I have no
idea what a good interface is. Anybody interested there ?