db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <Greg.Mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: custom sql types in Torque 4
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 14:46:47 GMT
Just curious about the specific here.  In the past, the server specific JDBC driver would convert
from a server specific field into a java.sql.Type type. So the MySQL JDBC DateTime and Timestamp
fields would both be mapped to java.sql.Type.TIMESTAMP.  This info is available via the MetaData
and that is what Village/Torque used to define types needed when populating Torque record
objects.

So is this needed because Torque 4 doesn't do something similar?  If this is the case, I'm
not sure that just letting people manually map to a column type is the solution.  This automatic
mapping of server specific to standard types via JDBC made it simple for Torque to interface
with "3rd party schemas".  E.g., if they used Timestamp or DateTime, just define the XML column
as TIMESTAMP and it worked... regardless of if you were using the 3rd party schema defined
for MYSQL or MSSQL or ORACLE.

I'm thinking that the issue is deeper than just "let the programmer patch it for the specific
DB". If we do this we lose the ability to write Torque code once and run against many DBs
when you're "adding on" to 3rd party schemas.

Or, I could totally be misunderstanding something here... :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fox [mailto:Thomas.Fox@seitenbau.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:02 AM
To: Apache Torque Developers List
Subject: custom sql types in Torque 4

Currently, it is not possible in Torque 4 to use a sql type which is not mapped by a Torque
type. E.G  the torque type TIMESTAMP is mapped to the SQL type DATETIME in mysql, and it is
not possible to create a column with SQL type TIMESTAMP out of the box.
Therefore I propose to add an attribute "sqlType" to the column Element in whihc the default
sql type can be overridden.

Any objections ?

    Thomas

DukeCE Privacy Statement: