db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fox <Thomas....@seitenbau.net>
Subject use native limit/offset solution for mssql
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:03:41 GMT

There is a jira ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE-84
which adds native limit/offset functionality for mssql server.
The problem with mssql server is that it has no sql syntax for offset, it
only has a limit syntax (select top 10 from ...)
The solution in the patch is to revert the order by in an inner query so
the limit is once applied from the top side and the next time from the
bottom side.

The problems in this approach are:
- There seems to be a problem if sql functions are used in the order by
clause.
- one needs to define an ordering in sql even if none is defined in the
query.
- aliases in the order by clause are complicated

Personally, I would not like to replace the current (working) solution
(only limit handled natively) by a solution which might be a bit faster but
does not always work / does unexpected things. So I intend to not apply the
patch and mark the issue as wontfix.
Any objections to that ?

     Thomas