db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <Greg.Mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: Torque 4 status
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:37:58 GMT
- Criterias should not be modified any more inside queries.

+0

Seems like this could be added with a point release in the future.

- Use a column object to hold the column name in the runtime instead of
Strings. So one could remove all that distributed guesswork of "what is the
table name, do we have a schema name or not" etc. This would also remove
the ambiguity which exists now that a String can be a value or a column
name.

+0.8

Since this would be a major change in how user code is written, it
probably should be done for a major revision change.  But if folks
think we could do this in a point release, then I'm OK to skip.

-Support creation of database views in the generator and access to database
views in the runtime.

+1

Support for access to views.  E.g. Externally created views can be defined
in xml with columns, etc.  As TV said, no setters, just getters.

+0.3

Support for creating views via XML.  Since this may be a bit
complicated unless we just do something totally non-DB independent
like a "select" attribute that just defines the SELECT part of the
CREATE VIEW statement.

To do it the "right way" so that the select part of the view could
be defined via the XML format referencing XML defined tables and
columns with the proper joins, and the like would be complicated.

- Evaluate whether ddlutils can be used for some generator tasks.

+0

Would be nice, but could be added in future with no major user impact.

What do you think we should implemenet before we can release torque 4 ?

Personally, I'd like to implement the "column object instead of column
string constants" because this will be binarily incompatible to existing
code. I'd skip the ddlutils part because ddlutils is not developed any
more. The other two points are mere enhancements and can be added later on.

What do you think ?

     Thomas

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.