db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Solving a problem with Torque
Date Sun, 15 May 2011 12:13:41 GMT
Hi all,

When I do a search using torque, I am given a List of objects back,
which I can iterate through at will.

These objects are linked with foreign key relationships to other
objects, and so I can call getFoo() on each object in my result set,
and torque will initiate a query and fetch the Foo object for me from
the database. So far so good.

The problem I have in my case is that the Foo object is a status, and
there are only a handful of possible statuses. What ends up happening
is that the status table gets queried over and over again, one for
each result in my original query. This takes time, and takes space.

Ideally what I'd like to have is torque be clever enough, when
getStatus() is called, to say "hang on, I've already got a status with
that key linked to this List or results, let me just use the one I
have already got, and not query status again".

I am aware that torque supports caching, but I don't like caching as a
solution, as I want the status object created within the same
transaction as the original query.

Would it make sense for torque to be able to keep an optional index
map for certain table relationships, and should this index map be
present, torque first looks up the result in the index map before
returning it to the client? And if not in the index map, an actual
query is performed on the status table, the index map is updated, and
the second time getStatus() is called, the object comes back from the
index map, not the database. The nett effect is that if you have just
4 statuses in your complete result set, your status table will only
ever be queried 4 times, and not once for every row in the original
result set.

Does this kind of thing make sense?

Regards,
Graham