db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <Greg.Mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: create package org.apache.torque.sql in torque runtime
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 15:16:40 GMT
+1 on creating refactoring the util package.  I've often thought it
was overloaded/not named correctly for some classes.

If we are doing this, should we also consider moving BasePeer,
Criteria, and Transaction as well?  IMHO, These are not utility
classes but part of the SQL Language modeling of Torque and
should be in a package that states this.

This way we would have the om package for the data storage model
and the sql package for SQL actions model.

The util package becomes more clearly the place for classes that
supply additional utility above the core.

Of course, this may be too much refactoring and require lots of
Torque using code to be rewritten.... hmm, maybe we could leave the
current main classes in util as subclasses of the new classes in
the sql package, marked as deprecated and due to be dropped...

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fox [mailto:Thomas.Fox@seitenbau.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:31 AM
To: Apache Torque Developers List
Subject: create package org.apache.torque.sql in torque runtime

I'd like to create a new package org.apache.torque.sql for all classes
which main purpose is SQL generation and storage of SQL (but classes which
can be rendered into SQL like e.g. Criteria would stay where they are).
This would serve two purposes:
- The util package has become quite large and the sql generation classes
serve a different purpose than most of the other classes (which are used
directly by torque users)
- The sql package could be declared as torque-internal (i.e. it is not
considered API and we can change the method signatures there)

The affected classes would be Query, SQLBuilder, JoinBuilder and
SqlExpression in org.apache.torque.util.

Furthermore, I'd like to merge the SqlExpression code into SQLBuilder (I do
not see any criteria to divide the sql generation code into these two
classes) and restructure the SqlExpression code a bit (it is currently not
very readable).

Any objections ?

      Thomas

DukeCE Privacy Statement: