db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Attibute modifications in schema
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:18:02 GMT
> >> I would try to implement a SourceProvider in the first stage after
> >> was some discussion, enough interest and a basic concept how to
> >> implement it.
> It would be (in my opinion) a nice possibility if Torque would use
> the same annotations as JPA or JAXB. So there can be one class for
> both persistence situations. Especially in times where webservices
> grow and they are often implemented by Spring and other JAXB using
> implementations.

I'm not sure. JPA entities differ in behaviour from Torque objects very
much We could use only a subset of JPA annotations (e.g. manytomany is not
supported). Foreign keys concepts differ (Torque objects do know the
foreign key plus the linked object, JPA objects only know the linked
object). Besides, the licensing situation might be difficult (I did not
check the JPA API license). I'd guess JPA annotations will either not work
at all or prove very difficult to use.
I do not understand the JAXB part. Torque annotations will be about
database specifics (which columns will be written into the database, which
colum is the primary key) and these concepts are not covered by JAXB.