db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Torque-4.0-alpha1 soon? & set of supported databases
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:49:33 GMT
On 27.09.10 22:05, Thomas Fischer wrote:
>> Greg suggested to use the map
>> classes for the metadata which sounds quite reasonable.
>
> I'd rather not do it. We have all the information for processing data in a
> typesafe manner, so why do we want to have a class in the middle which
> stores information as a Object with no type information at all ? But
> perhaps I should make a suggestion of what solution is in my mind. But
> before that, we should decide whether this should happen before an alpha1
> release or after.

No additional object is needed. The map classes can tell for each and
every selected column what the actual type of the column is. So we
actually already *have* the metadata information and we don't need to
query the database for that.

>> This would
>> however require some changes in the runtime. Anybody having a strong
>> feeling against the integration of the few village-classes into the
> runtime?
>
> Yes, see above.

A couple of advantages:
- No additional dependency for some 10 classes
- No cross-dependency between libraries
- Easier removal at a later stage.
- Direct access to table map data

Still -1 ?