db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Torque-4.0-alpha1 soon? & set of supported databases
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:03:23 GMT
On 26.09.10 19:49, Thomas Fischer wrote:
> We could release the generator, templates, maven 2 plugin and ant tasks as
> 4.0-alpha1, and simultaneously do a 3.3.1 release of the runtime and
> village.
> Of course, this would need a bit of testing and tweaking before releasing,
> but do you think it is a good idea in general? I'd volunteer as release
> manager.

If you actually want to do a runtime release, I'd try to have a second
look into the village/metadata-issue. Greg suggested to use the map
classes for the metadata which sounds quite reasonable. This would
however require some changes in the runtime. Anybody having a strong
feeling against the integration of the few village-classes into the runtime?

> Does anybody think that we should support more databases and do not thest
> the integration?

Testing on DB2/AS400 would be kind of a hurdle for all of us, I believe.
HSQL would be worth saving, I'd say. I guess as long as we don't do bad
things to the SQL, we could deprecate the not listed databases systems
for the next release. If some user wants to contribute test results
and/or templates, we could remove the deprecation again.

Bye, Thomas