db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: torque 4 plan
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:32:04 GMT
> >> - something needs to be done about the ant tasks that were in 3.3. but
> >>
> > are
> >
> >> not yet present in 4.0.
> >>
> there are others than jdbc2xml ?

Yes, there is datadtd, datadump, and jdbc (though I do not know what the
latter does). Datasql is in the scope of the generator/templates construct
but not (yet) implemented.

> >> - There might be an alternative to static peer classes to ease
plugging

> > in
> >
> >> of an alternative implementation
> >>

> what could be a possible alternative?

Use peer "beans" and a static wrapper around the beans.

> > what will most probably change:
> > - village will be removed from the runtime (and as a result from the
> > templates)
> >
> what will be used instead of Village and why you want to remove it ?

Maybe commons-dbutils (http://commons.apache.org/dbutils/) will be used
instead.
We want to remove it because it tries to do the conversion to and from
datatypes which has caused trouble in the past and which is much better
done by the database drivers.

> > what might change:
> > - subject to further discussion, java 1.4 might not be supported any
more
> > in the runtime.
> >
> I cannot see any reason to support it anymore: whoever is going to
> migrate to Torque will have also the time to change jdk

There might be users who are using Torque but are stuck to Java 1.4 (client
doesn't want to upgrade, QA team objects to untested change etc...). But my
personal opinion is that this will probably be few users and these can
continue to use torque 3.3

     Thomas