db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: torque 4 site and further actions
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:49:50 GMT
On 05.03.10 22:54, Thomas Fischer wrote:
> The Torque 4 site is deployed at
> http://db.apache.org/torque/releases/torque-4.0/index.html

The site looks ok to me. I haven't found any issues.

> - The external-schema support is missing, I hope I get at it in the near
> future.  However, I'm curious to know what it is good for. Does anybody
> have a use case ?

I haven't used this yet, so this is just my understanding what it was
meant for. Let's say you have a number of modules in your application,
each having it's own set of tables. If you build an application from
these modules it might by useful to have all the generated classes in
one place. It can make the management easier.

> - Do we still want to support java 1.4 in Torque 4 runtime & generated
> classes ?

Well, my own reason for sticking with JDK 1.4 is gone, so on my account
we can use JDK 1.5.

> - Which databases do we want to support in Torque 4 ? I believe e.g. the
> claim that we support db2 in Torque 3.3 is just nonsense, we do not have a
> driver for any recent db2 database. So my suggestion is to concentrate on
> the databases that we really support and which we test with each release. A
> suggestion for this set would be mysql, postgresql, mssql, oracle, derby
> and hsqldb. What do you think ?

I guess it should be possible to keep support for all databases we can
get free access to. DB2 is available free of charge as DB2-Express-C so
we should at least check if it still works and what efforts would be
needed to support it before throwing the support away.

Bye, Thomas.