db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Ludwig Magnusson" <lud...@itcatapult.com>
Subject RE: What is Torque?
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:33:48 GMT
If simple means that once the om-classes are generated, they are very easy
to use with get, set and save, I agree.

Otherwise I don't really like the word simple. Too many projects use this
word to describe them, from small libraries to extensive frameworks that
rarely are simple to understand.

The part about the generated code should definitely be the first point as
this is a great feature with debugging and compiling as you mention Thomas.

/Ludwig

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fischer [mailto:fischer@seitenbau.net]
Sent: den 10 mars 2010 10:02
To: Apache Torque Developers List
Subject: RE: What is Torque?

In my opinion, the text above is quite good already. However, my personal
focus would be more on what distinguishes Torque from other OR mappers.
- extensible (hooks are provided for custom behavioor, e.g. modifying the
templates, change behaviour of generated classes by inheritance)
- simple (one should be able to understand whats going on by debugging the
Torque code, so finding errors is easy).
- generated code over reflection (thus easier to debug, compiler checks
possible)
(Some of the points above are already in Greg's text, but with a different
point of view)

I also second Thomas V's comment that the word OR-Mapper should appear
somewhere. And the database independence should be in it (e.g. the sentence
on the torque main page)

Greg, would you like to do the merging or should I give it a try ?

Once we have decided on a version, should we use this instead of the
current "What is Torque" text on the web site ?

     Thomas