db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Ivano Luberti <lube...@archicoop.it>
Subject Re: How do we want to integrate the torque 4 site into the torque site ?
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:53:28 GMT
Hello, I'm new to the dev list, so I hope I'm not going to say something
that doesn't make sense.
For what I read the Torque 4 web site already exists and has only to be
deployed (as Thomas knows I don't know Maven: I only can guess is an
evolution of ant).
If I well understand Torque 4 is quite a major rewriting of the 3.3
version. We can think the 3.3 will stay in use for some time and the
versions should have the same dignity in some way.
If my hypothesis are correct, to me the best solution is the one adopted
by Tapestry apache site:

http://tapestry.apache.org/

As you see there are two stable versions that are linked from a common
web site where something about the common parts of the project are
explained than there are two separate web sites.

Thomas Fischer ha scritto:
> Currently the torque site is built by maven1, and the different modules
> (runtime, generator etc) have their own site. The module sites integrate
> into the main sites seamlessly because they have the same navigation
> structure and are built by the same program, so the layout is the same for
> all the sites.
>
> The question is how we want to integrate the torque 4 site into the main
> Torque site. The Torque4 site is generated using maven 2 and thus has a
> slightly different layout.
>
> In my opinion, there are two main choices:
> 1) The Torque4 main site replaces the main site. This approach is
> problematic because the torque3 documentation will be hidden in the
> "previous releases" part which is not easily found.
> 2) We add a torque 4 navigation item to the torque3 site which will point
> to a directory not in the torque3 site. The torque4 site is then published
> as a separate site (it will not incorporate the torque3 navigation, only a
> link to torque 3.3 in the "previosu releases" section).
>
> Integrating the Torque3 navigation into the torque 4 site is, in my
> opinion, not an option as there is much website layout work involved and
> the time can be better used elswhere.
>
> I have a tendency to go for option 2) and will prepare a suggestion based
> on this.
> If anybody has a better idea please let me know. If the above is not
> understandeable, please let me know also and I'll tyr to explain
> differently.
>
>           Thomas

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa