db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Migrate
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:42:34 GMT
Ludwig Magnusson wrote:
> My proposal is to create a new torque task called migrate that solves this
> (if possible).

My experience is that database migrations usually take much more than a
simple SQL-ALTER-TABLE-script. We wrote a complete application to handle
this, because "migration" actually meant to us that data needs to be
transferred between tables, columns (of different types) or even created
from combining other data. Some of these actions are even not possible
in SQL.

Although it might be useful to create a delta-script between two
revisions of the schema, this will mostly be just a scaffold of the real
migration script (which in turn need to be extended manually)

Just my two cents.

Bye, Thomas.