db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <Greg.Mon...@dukece.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal] A general-purpose code generation framework for torque 4
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:13:40 GMT
Sorry for the delay... life has been busy.

Overall, I'm currently in favor of this... one think I've had on my "if I had
time..." wish list has been to look at auto-generating a Torque based REST
interface.  This was one design thought I had in mind doing the XML Schema,
being able to define the DB and the REST interface info in one XML file.  Adding
in this framework, would seem to help make that a lot easier.

OK, that said, I've looked over the docs but haven't dug into the code yet.
My first concerns are that this seems to be fairly complex and that as a core
part of Torque, there is a risk of overall reliability going down.  I also
worry that we may lose some functionality at least until it's identified and
restored. There are a lot of bells and whistles that have been "baked in" to
Torque over the years.

I'm also concerned that this major design shift might delay other things that
we've thought about for Torque 4.0.  Since time will be spent testing and
fixing things that come out of the new generator code.  But then, having a
new aspect might bring in new help/inspire folks to work on it...lol

Finally, I'm sure we agree that the Torque project would not be the final
place for this.  I'm on the fence if it's best to "incubate" it inside the
project or start it as a "Lab" project.  Since it would be core to Torque,
I'm slightly more in favor of doing it inside... and moving it out as it
matures.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.