db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Monroe <Greg.Mon...@dukece.com>
Subject XML Schema for Torque 4.0
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:29:10 GMT
I needed to learn some stuff about XML schema's so I decided
to combine this with one of the Torque 4.0 goals of converting
from DTD to XSD.  This took on a life of its own and I ended
up with what I think is a good candidate to use.

So, I put together some info about this for folks to review
and get some dialog started around this.  Here's a URL that
will tell you about this schema:

http://people.apache.org/~gmonroe/torqueSchema/

Some questions / To Do stuff that come to mind are:

Is the name space correct? Should it be
.../torque/xsd/database_4_0 to be more in line with the DTD
naming? XSD includes a version attribute, do we need the
_4_0 part?

This schema has fairly "tight" attribute checking based on
the SQL and Java standards for identifiers. Will this cause
problems with people who have used non-standard identifiers
that are supported by their db server. Should we have a
"loose" and "tight" version? (Personally, I want my data
model to always be as DB server type independent as
possible).

Should we be including the ddlUtils people in on this since
they also use the DTD?

Should we think about splitting this into two name spaces
with one being the model elements and attributes (e.g. stuff
both ddlUtils and Torque use) and the other being the torque
generator directives (e.g. package, basePeer, and the like)?

Obviously need to revamp the generator code to use the
schema.

Not sure where this should live in the Torque 4.0 project.
The DTD have been "buried" levels down in the resources
directory. I think this is to make it easy to get it into
the distro jar. But it makes it hard to find. : )

If people like the xsddoc output, we need to integrate the
maven plugin into the torque project (site part?). And
update the documentation with this.

Should we think about splitting this into two name spaces
with one being the model elements and attributes (e.g. stuff
both ddlUtils and Torque use) and the other being the torque
generator directives (e.g. package, basePeer, and the
like)?

Greg Monroe <Monroe@DukeCE.com> (919)680-5050
Learning Technologies Group - Solutions Team Lead
Duke Corporate Education, Inc.
310 Blackwell St.
Durham, NC 27701

DukeCE Privacy Statement: