db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connecting to DB2 9.7
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 18:50:30 GMT
Frauke Heyl wrote:
> I would like to share some experiences that I had connecting to DB2 9.7
> with Torque 3.3-RC2.

Thanks for your comments. I'd strongly suggest to use 3.3 release, however.

> First of all: I also had the problem that all records received from
> village where readOnly so I was not able to write data back to the
> database. Is there any better solution available than patching the
> village working dog? Will there be an official update to deal with that
> problem?

I'm not aware of the problem. Would you consider opening a JIRA issue? A
separate release of village would allow to fix a long outstanding Oracle
issue as well.

> Second I had to customize the templates to deal with the problem that
> BOOLEANCHAR was mapped to VHARCHAR without a size declaration. This
> caused a syntax error in the SQL script. I changed it to VARCHAR(1).
[...]
> Further data type adaptations were necessary because some of the data
> types were too small to meet our special needs, i.e. the binary data,
> which I changed to BLOB.

Patches are welcome.

> Another problem is a DB2 specialty that does not allow UNIQUE
> constraints on nullable columns. Since we also use other databases
> without this restraint I could not find a solution for that. Does
> anybody have an idea for a workaround?

My experience with MySQL is along those lines. You *can* set a unique
index on a nullable column, it just doesn't work...

> One final question: How far is DB2 9.7 already supported by Torque?

Not officially. The problem always is that for tests it would be
necessary to have all DBMS available which is next to impossible. Again
I'd like to encourage you to submit your contributions.

Bye, Thomas.