db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Hilka" <thi...@vps.de>
Subject AW: Importing binary data using data.xml
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:11:45 GMT
Hello,

I tried to export some data from the database using dbunit. They encode the
binary data in base64. The import also worked. Are there any plans to add
such an import/export functionality to torque?

For now, I think I will combine both torque and dbunit to fullfill our
requirements.

Thank you for your answer.

Tobias

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Thomas Fischer [mailto:fischer@seitenbau.net]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. September 2008 17:53
An: Apache Torque Developers List
Betreff: RE: Importing binary data using data.xml

The datadump and insert-sql tasks were never able to do more than basic
stuff. But to be specific:

> we are facing the requirement to initialize our database not only
> with textual data but also with binary data (mostly xml data).
>
> We have a running database with the initial data on MSSQL 2005 and
> we need to have the same for Oracle. We used the datadump mechanism
> provided by torque to get the data from the MSSQL database. But the
> binary data is missing.
> Is there any possibility to handle binary data using torque with the
> datadump and insert-sql tasks?

Not without a patch. Probably adding this is easy. My first idea would be
to base64-encode the data before storing it in xml.

> Another problem with the datadump task are special characters. Is
> there any possibility to give some codepage to the datadump task?
>
> The format of date values generated by datadump is  ?2008-01-01 20:
> 00:00.123?.

This probably dependas on the database against which you are running the
datadump :-(

> When I tried to insert the datadump result into the
> MSSQL database again, the MSSQL server does not understand this
> format, since the server is running on a german system. Any chance
> to add the format as a parameter?

Also not without a patch. There would be two formats:
a) the format for xml
b ) the format for the database

In principle, Torque knows b), but this is not used in the datadump and
insert-sql tasks. a) would have to vbe defined by configuration.

> For the binary problem I was thinking about using some tool like
> DBUnit, which (as far as I read) can import binary data into tables.
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

As far as I know, dbunit can do this, but it cannot store binary data in
xml. But I may be mistaken.

    Thomas