db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From David Ware <da...@reeltwo.com>
Subject Fun village behavior
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:07:00 GMT
Just an FYI for my ongoing DB2 journey. I'm past the SQL schema
generation phase and onto the runtime bits.

I was/am having some trouble with saving objects. I eventually started
putting some printlns into village to see what kind of sql it was doing.
They looked like:

  INSERT INTO <tablename> ( ) VALUES ( )

Turns out village doesn't persist columns unless the meta data it has
stored for that column returns false on a Column.readOnly() call.
Unfortunately the way village collects this data is to go:

  SELECT <column1>, <column2> ... FROM <tablename> WHERE 1 = -1

And then use the values from the ResultSetMetaData.  Now I'm not sure
how JDBC Drivers are suppose to behave but the DB2 one that I'm using
will return true for a ResultSetMetaData.isReadOnly() only if you did
something like:

  SELECT blah FROM foo FOR UPDATE

The upshot is I'm going through commenting out the readOnly() checks
from Record.java as they appear to be largely useless for my purposes.

Cheers,
Dave Ware