db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From David Ware <da...@reeltwo.com>
Subject Re: Does torque shorten column identifiers to comply with database restrictions?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:36:44 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:
>> -Does torque in general support shortening column identifiers for the
>> table creation stage? (I'll worry about the runtime when I get there)
>>

> No, I'm afraid.
>

>> -If no, what do I need to modify in order to add the support? and what
>> is likely to break while I'm tinkering with it?
>>

> If I were you I'd start at the first possible place. Start where the
> generator reads in the tables from the xml files, and shorten the table
> names right there. So everything inside torque does not know that the table
> names are longer in the xml file, and you do not run into problems anywhere
> inside torque.

Unfortunately as I said the purpose is to get a currently running
application to run on DB2, and
changing the column names at the read location would result in changing
the implicitly defined
javaName for those columns methods. One solution would be to add the
javaName's to our schema
I suppose but I think I will attempt to alter torque to handle it in a
more robust manner.

Fortunately from my experiments it looks like the limitations on table
and index naming is much
longer and not likely to be a problem for me.
> Whether you can use the information in the db adapter I do not now (I'm
> also not sure whether the informations in the adapters are up to date). Be
> cautious to avoid duplicate shortened table names.

Will do.
>     Thomas

P.S. I know its been a while since the java 1.5 topic was broached and
I'm not a torque developer but
I'd definitely be for torque moving to it. Torque is a project that
would benefit hugely from 1.5 language
features.