db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject RE: Village Oracle DATE<=>Timestamp patch?
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:00:03 GMT
> One concern that comes to mind is how this might effect
> cross DB code.  I.e. a developer uses Torque with the
> assumption that the same SQL standard rules are used
> across all DBAdaptors and migrating from one to another
> is relatively painless.
>
> To do this, Torque trys to enforce the official and
> defacto SQL standards.
>
> In this case, the SQL standard clearly defines that a
> DATE column is just that... a date with no time part.
> The TimeStamp column is the SQL standard column for a
> Date and Time (storing at least seconds but decimals of
> seconds allowed).

The problem is that oracle does not follow this standard. Standard sql
defines the following column types:
- Date: days, months, years. NO hours, miutes, seconds.
- Time: hours, minutes, seconds. NO days, months, years.
Oracle has the following colum type:
- Date: hours, minutes, seconds, days, months, years
A time column type does not exist in oracle.

So, oracle deviates from the sql standard and I can see no way to mask this
behaviour in the current implementation (To do this, village must know
whether an oracle Date column was defined as DATE or TIME in the
schema.xml)

I'd think that Brendans implementation makes more sense than the current
implementation, but I'd rather not change this in an release cycle. The
real solution would be to replace village.

    Thomas