db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:45:35 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Scott Eade wrote:
>
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>

>>> ==> Scott, here's one more item on the check list you can take care
>>> after you upload the code to the temp location:
>>>
>>> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
>>> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>>>

>> Is it good enough that this will be addressed when the code is imported
>> or do we need to go to the trouble of wrestling it first - I was hoping
>> for the former rather than the latter.
>>

> It should be wrestled before actually being committed to the asf repo,

That is my "good enough" strategy above - we can fix the licenses when
we do the commit.
> but the good news is there's a really handy tool in the committers repo
> to help do exactly that:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/relicense/src/perl/insert_license.pl

There is also Henning's CodeWrestler tool.  There aren't that many files
anyway so a manual update is not out of the question.
> I usually run this tool in "practice" mode on code that will be imported
> to quickly identify if there are any missing or any non-apache licenses
> in it.  Many folks in the incubator also use a RAT tool, but I like the
> insert_license.pl feature of also being able to update headers to the
> right one. (Derby used insert_license.pl last year to switch to the new
> ASF headers.)
>
> And I, oops, should have mentioned earlier these two items on the ip
> clearance check list:
>
> "Check and make sure that for all items included with the distribution
> that is not under the Apache license, we have the right to combine with
> Apache-licensed code and redistribute."
>
> "Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the project is
> covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD,
> Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the
> same terms."
>
> The actual list of approved ("Category A") licenses is at
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

All of the code is currently licensed under a variant to ASL 1.1 - just
to Working-Dogs.com rather than to The ASF.
> sorry for the earlier ommission, I posted before sufficient coffee.
>
> At any rate, that committers tool should nail all these birds with one
> stone.
>
> Tonight I'll commit the torque-village check list to the incubator repo
> as a work-in-progress (it doesn't have to be complete until we notify
> the incubator about the import), then post the link to it here.

Thanks,

Scott