db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:41:20 GMT
Scott Eade wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> ==> Scott, here's one more item on the check list you can take care
>> after you upload the code to the temp location:
>>
>> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
>> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>>
> Is it good enough that this will be addressed when the code is imported
> or do we need to go to the trouble of wrestling it first - I was hoping
> for the former rather than the latter.

It should be wrestled before actually being committed to the asf repo,
but the good news is there's a really handy tool in the committers repo
to help do exactly that:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/relicense/src/perl/insert_license.pl

I usually run this tool in "practice" mode on code that will be imported
to quickly identify if there are any missing or any non-apache licenses
in it.  Many folks in the incubator also use a RAT tool, but I like the
insert_license.pl feature of also being able to update headers to the
right one. (Derby used insert_license.pl last year to switch to the new
ASF headers.)

And I, oops, should have mentioned earlier these two items on the ip
clearance check list:

"Check and make sure that for all items included with the distribution
that is not under the Apache license, we have the right to combine with
Apache-licensed code and redistribute."

"Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the project is
covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD,
Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the
same terms."

The actual list of approved ("Category A") licenses is at
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

sorry for the earlier ommission, I posted before sufficient coffee.

At any rate, that committers tool should nail all these birds with one
stone.

Tonight I'll commit the torque-village check list to the incubator repo
as a work-in-progress (it doesn't have to be complete until we notify
the incubator about the import), then post the link to it here.

 -jean