db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From SheraX <sheraz.jams...@redmath.com>
Subject Inserting Special Characters in Oracle using TORQUE.
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 06:21:17 GMT

Hellow everyone,

I am getting a strange problem. I am developing a webapplication in IBM
Rational Software Development Platform Version: 6.0.1 Using Torque Version
3.0.2.
I need to insert special characters like (ABCDEFG1234ÑãäåæçèéêêהЦБЌ) into an
Oracle(10g) Table Column of type VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE).

The Charset of web application is default IS0-8859. The value is saved in
database and retrieved and displayed fine. But the problem arises on boundry
value checks.
Now the string containing special characters of higher decimal ASCII value
occupy more bytes then lower ASCII value. So the length of the string is
different then the number of characters input by user.
Before inserting into database I validate the input value in the form to be
less then 4000 bytes (using myValue.length() ). It indeed shows value less
then 4000 like in one case the length of the string is 3680. But when torque
tries to insert the value in database the ORA Exception is encountered

"org.apache.torque.TorqueException: Data size bigger than max size for this
type: 4245"

I am not able to understand why string length changes when torque tries to
insert it into the database.

Awaiting Response

Regards

SheraX