db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vand...@tewisoft.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r571790 - in /db/torque/runtime/trunk/src/java/org/apache/torque: TorqueInstance.java manager/AbstractBaseManager.java
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:54:15 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:
>>"default" has always
>>been a reserved name for a database, the whole feature
>>torque.database.default would not make sense otherwise.
> Here I do not agree. _Because_ this configuration parameter exists, the
> standard name "default" does not make sense. If one wishes the default
> database's name to be "default", then it can be done by
> torque.database.default=default

It's obviously difficult to make myself clear. This very Torque feature
is documented and works so that the meaning of the database/datasource
"default" can be routed to one of the existing database definitions. Why
doesn't that make sense? I'll try an example.

If I now generate OM classes for the database name "default", I can
decide - via configuration - which of the two database definitions to
use by simply setting

How would I achieve this without the feature discussed?

> In this section, it says if you do not set the "name" attribute in the
> schema.xml, the generator will set it to be "default". It does not say
> anything about references during runtime.

It does.
As Torque has the ability to use multiple databases you can tell it
which one to use by default thus...

It doesn't matter if the name of that default database is a reference
internally. The intention was to give the user a choice and I second
that intention.

> In my eyes, all boils down to
> "Can we ask the turbine users to configure the database "default" in their
> Torque.properties or not ?"

Where would this database point to? In my JNDI example above I would
still use the same connection pool but with other factories I would open
a second one when it is not exactly necessary. You might not need this
feature. I do. So what's wrong with it?

Bye, Thomas.