db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: village
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 12:20:45 GMT
Actually Thomas, as a long time ASF Member, Jon is well aware of the
issues with regards to bringing code into the ASF (you will find his
name in bunches of author tags in Turbine, including the earliest
revision of Turbine.java to be found in svn [dated 2001-08-16] and even
a few in Torque).

Torque has actually been using a fork of Village for a while now, hosted
at http://www.softwareforge.de/projects/village/

I see that Jon has taken share.whichever.com offline - this was probably
what prompted him to offer the code to Torque.

Given all of the relevant factors (Jon, his offer, the fork, the
license, the plan to phase Village out of Torque) I suggest that we pull
any of the classes we use into Torque itself.  Doing this should make
phasing it out quite a bit easier since we will be free to refactor the
code however we see fit rather than having to eliminate it in one fell
swoop.

Scott