db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: Maven repository issues
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:09:19 GMT

Thomas Fischer said:
>I would have a slight preference towards
>
> maven.repo.remote=http://repo1.maven.org/maven

That sound good and seems to work fine. I dropped commons-logging
from my local repository and it downloaded fine.

FWIW, I haven't used Maven 1.1, so I didn't know about the issues
there.  It was just a suggestion I saw relating to this issue.

> Where would you change this ?
> In the test project and in the tutorial, or also as default
> in the maven1 plugin ? I'd prefer the former, and could help with it.

I was just thinking about making the build work by changing it in
the base commons/project.properties.  But obviously there are more
places that this effects.

FWIW, the test-project will work fine.  I dropped common-logging
and ran it in debug mode.  Because it is a subproject, it finds
the maven.repo.remote setting in the commons/properties file.

So, the build stuff can easily be fixed.

As to fixing the plug-in user problem, I think that educating
people on using a global build.properties file with a
maven.repo.remote setting is probably the way to go rather
than "patch it" in the plug-in.

Maybe a item on the news page, with info like:

-----
8 February 2007 - Maven 1.0.x Dependency Problems

Maven default repository has moved and now Maven 1.0.x is
unable to find required dependencies without a minor configuration
change.  You will need to add the following to your
project.properties file:

maven.repo.remote=http://repo1.maven.org/maven

A good place to do add this is in your user id's default
Maven project.properties file.  This is in your user home
directory, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\userid on Windows
or ~userid on *nix.  If it doesn't exist, just create one
with just that line.
-----

Then link to this from the main overview page, the tutorial
Step 1 and Maven 1 Plugin pages.

Does this sound like a good plan.  If so, I'll start making
the doc changes.

Duke CE Privacy Statement