db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unicode and Torque
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:03:27 GMT
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Tobias Hilka wrote:
> We now patched the SQLExpression class to work with unicode correctly. Are
> you in general aware of the problem with unicode? Are there any plans to
> solve this issue in the upcoming RC2? We could provide a patch for this
> class.

RC2 is nearly out. There is a fixed SVN revision which passed the vote and
unless something bad happens this will be released as RC2. It does not
contain a patch to the unicode problems you have raised.

The reason for this is that I am not sure how to proceed there. I do not
know whether the "prepend an N" solutions you have given work for all
databases supported by Torque. I am also not sure at all which is the way
torque should go in the problem with upper(). In my opinion, this is a
problem of the database. E.g. If I remember correctly, in Oracle one can
change the locale in the database to influence the way how upper() acts on
Umlauts, but I did not have the time to research this. If this is the case
and we try to enfore a specific behaviour in Torque, we loose the
opportunity to handle this in the database.
I have no idea whether the situation is the same for MSSQL.

Regarding TORQUE-70, I have no idea how to implement a solution
in a clean way. If you do have an idea, please append a patch to the
issue. Note that prepending an N to the escape character may not be the
right thing to do for all databases.

> Another problem we had some weeks ago was the limit/offset problem with
> MSSQL. We also found a solution for this using inner select statements. We
> could also provide a fix for this issue.

We are certainly interested in this. Please create a jira issue with the
patch. I have no access to a mssql system and thus can not check the
patch, put perhaps Greg finds some time to check it.

      Thomas