db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Brendan Miller" <bmil...@dotster.com>
Subject Re: package attribute on table?
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:07:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:10:18PM +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Brendan,
>
> if adding a package attribute to the tables works without adding too much
> complexity, I'd consider that a good addition to Torque.
> I'd think the following needs to be done to implement this:
> - adding the logic to read the package attribute from the schema.xml (I
> understand that most of this is already there)

Yep, only requires a change to the DTD and two one-liners to
Database.java and Table.java (unless further testing uncovers more).

> - adding the logic to the templates to get the imports correct
> Do you see any other places where changes must be made ?

I haven't yet.  To be honest the template changes were a little more
invasive than I would have liked, so I may rethink them to see if
there's an easier way.  Obviously the main Control.vm template where it
sets up paths and packages for everything had to do that within a
foreach table loop instead in the outside database loop.  The way I have
it functioning right now it's a little hard to read (IMO).  I'll see if
I can clean it up and submit a patch for review.

> I'd see the package attribute of the database element as a default value,
> which can be overridden by a package attribute of the database. So the
> place where the <DatabaseName>MapInit class is generated would still be
> determined by the package attribute of the database element.

Okay, that's what I thought as well, and how I left it working.

> Are you aware of the subpackage features
> (http://db.apache.org/torque/releases/torque-3.3
> /generator/properties-reference.html, search for "torque.subpackage", there
> are several properties)? How would you handle this ? E.g. where would you
> put the MapBuilder classes ?

I was aware of those settings, although I do not use them.
Coincidentally, the subpackage namespaces are appended to the table
package namespace in the normal fashion.  I think that Torque mostly has
this [table package] feature already--finishing it mostly revolves around
setting the package on each table, and making sure that when a package
name or directory structure is needed that it is retrieved from the
table in all cases, not the database.  In any case, I set up

torque.subpackage.base = base
torque.subpackage.peer = peer
torque.subpackage.map = mymap

in my properties file and all the classes were generated beneath the
namespace I had specified as the table pacakge attribute.  Sweet.

> Do not expect to get this feature into Torque 3.3. Hopefully, the current
> RC is also the final version, and after this the current plan is to change
> a few internals of Torque, which will take some time.

Yes, it does look as if Torque 3.3 is nearing completion.  If I were to
submit a patch, what should I use as my base?  (I'm not sure an
3.3-RC[12] patch will apply against the trunk--maybe it will.)

Brendan