db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject Non-record type queries/ statements ( Was: Torque 4.0 plan)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:39:45 GMT

I was probably getting to specific here for a general concept.
By better non-record query support, I meant better general
support for that the whole set of queries or statements
that are not single table related.  The example I had in
mind here was to make sure you could represent and run a query
like:

  Select topics.subject as t_title, topics.date as t_date,
	   users.name as t_poster, posts.subject as last_post, ...
    from topics, users, posts
    where (join stuff, etc.) ..

and getting this dynamic record info could be as easy as:

  BaseObject rec = (BaseObject) rs.next();
  String topicTitle = (String) rec.getByName("t_title");

Plus there's a whole categories of INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE
statements that use subselects or WHERE clauses that have to
be created with String concats to work now.  Especially with
tables that don't have primary keys.

Now that I've expanded this, I guess the general concept here
is to expand or ensure that the Criteria design can represent
such queries and that there is a clear process for running
them.  Instead of the current "Go figure out the Village layer"
answer that is common today.

Duke CE Privacy Statement