db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject Primitives or not (Was: Torque 4.0 plan)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:05:10 GMT
I guess the real question is:

What do we mean by "Throw away primitives"?

There are three main area I think we are talking about:

The record objects, the criteria objects, and overall
runablity / compilability.

On the record side of things, I can't see that it's
a big problem to keep supporting the primitive XML
option.  Let the application designer decided whether
to use primitive or objects via this.  It's only a
VERY small set of template code that's required to
create primitive getter/setters.  Everything internally
can be object or not.

The criteria object is a slightly different problem.
On one hand, I can see that going to object only would
simplify the multitude of add methods.  But it would
cause a lot of code to be re-written.

It may be time to dust off my VERY rough pass at
creating a criteria API that Thomas T and I kicked
around a LONG time ago.  This might be useful to have
a "deprecated but works like the original" criteria and
a "new improved object only" criteria.  Then let the
developer choose (with an emphasis on the DEPRECATED
fact...)

As to the compilablity / runablity issues...
Personally, I'd like Torque generated code to be
compilable/runnable under 1.4.  There are still a lot
of folks "stuck" at this level for various reasons.
With Java going GPL, I suspect this number will be
dropping.. but probably not too fast.

But the hard limit is that it definitely needs to be
RUNNABLE under 1.4.  I.e., you need 1.5 to create the
OM layer but not run it.  But as people have pointed
out, there is a whole bunch of 'gotchas' to look out
for with this scenario.

Duke CE Privacy Statement