db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Primitives or not (Was: Torque 4.0 plan)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:54:20 GMT
Greg Monroe wrote:
> On the record side of things, I can't see that it's
> a big problem to keep supporting the primitive XML
> option.  Let the application designer decided whether
> to use primitive or objects via this.  It's only a
> VERY small set of template code that's required to
> create primitive getter/setters.  Everything internally
> can be object or not.

I don't think so. As Torque works now, you can define a column to be a
primitive (int) and Nullable at the same time. In Torque you have no way
to decide whether this column is null or 0 (which is what Torque sets).
Objects can really be null and so you can distinguish between the two
cases. So this is the much cleaner approach.

The other way round, you won't be able to store null in such a table,
simply because the primitive value cannot be null.

Bye, Thomas.