db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Maven 2 support in 4.0 (Was: Torque 4.0 plan)
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:40:56 GMT
I'd be -1 to switch to an ant build. It seems that people tend to forget
the advantages that a maven build has, e.g. :
- Maven has an easy dependency managing mechanism
- Maven automatically executes the tests during building
- Maven creates all these useful reports on the site
And building the jars using ant and the site using maven is also not an
option in my eyes. Plus, the maven 1 plugin needs a maven 1 build, and the
maven 2 plugin needs a maven 2 build, so we'd need those anyway.

The reason wy I believe it is better to do builds in maven 2 than in maven
1 are the following:
- Maven 2 builds are much faster.
- Maven 2 supports parent poms which do not exist locally
- Maven 2 supports transitive dependencies
- More people will stop using maven 1 in the future and use maven 2, so
building from the sources will be easier for those (no deed to nsitall
and configure maven 1)

As for the migration, I'm volunteering to do it. And there is no sign of
maven 3, so in my eyes the fear of another migration is unfounded.