db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Status of discussion Torque 4.0
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:29:16 GMT
Hi,

To get an overview of the torque 4.0 discussion status, here's what I
consider the current status of discussion. If you think otherwise, please
complain. I'll also set up a wiki page which is intended to keep pace with
the current state of discussion (but not as replacement for discussion on
the dev list, so I'll ask folks to discuss features on the dev list before
they are added to the wiki)

Consensus on the following points:

- Next main version should be 4.0.

- Simplify the repository structure: No svn externals any more

- Kick out village

- Change the way to handle non-record-type queries (we used village for
   that until now)

- Criterias should not be modified any more inside queries.

- Disentangle Query description and SQL creation code.

- Use the Criteria object only to hold query data and another object to
   hold update data. Criteria should not extend Hashtable any more.

- Use a column object to hold the column name in the runtime instead of
   Strings

- Support views

- Use a custom velocity renderer to have nicely trimmed generated code.

- Have a non-static version of Peer classes. Implementation details are
   under discussion.

- Evaluate whether ddlutils can be used for some generator tasks

Under discussion:

- Switch to Maven 2 as build system.

- Make the generator more generic.

- Support primitives in data objects

Problematic:

- Use Java 5 style generics and enumerations. Java 5 code does not run on
jdk 1.4

Torque 4.5:

- Support for object level views

Torque 4.5, Under discussion