db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Torque 4.0 plan
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:19:14 GMT
"Greg Monroe" <Greg.Monroe@DukeCE.com> writes:

>> - Switch to Maven 2 as build system. Maven 2 has much better
>>   multiproject support than Maven 1, so building will be
>>   easier.

>My +0 for Maven 2 is based on the little bit I dug into it
>for the add-on stuff. It seemed to add a lot of complication
>and extra more effort to do thing outside the "Maven 2 norm"
>that was fairly easy in 1.  IMHO, build systems should take a
>minimum of time away from your development time, not become
>a subproject of it's own.

I'd *strongly* suggest thinking about the maven support. Maven changed
from 1 to 2 completely (different POMs, different program name,
different properties, different plugins, different docs) so people
moving from m1 to m2 had to throw all their configs (project.xml,
maven.xml, properties) away and rework them (most of the time from
scratch).

And the projects relying on m1 suddently find out that people no
longer have the 'old' maven installed and complain about not being
able to build the project.

There is no guarantee that moving from m2 to m3 will not be the same
thing.

There *is* a simple solution: Provide basic project building with ant.

ant stood the test of time quite nicely. Keep the maven (m1, m2) build
optional but build your release archives with ant.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540 | Apache person

          "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."