db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: Torque 4.0 plan
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:29:12 GMT
> Thomas Fischer said:
>
> Now that the first Torque RC is outit is time to think about
> what we'd like to do as next version. Personally, I'd like
> to propose the following:

Can't complain about that list.  Only +0 items I'd list
would be on the Maven 2 conversion and the generic generator.

> - Switch to Maven 2 as build system. Maven 2 has much better
>   multiproject support than Maven 1, so building will be
>   easier.

My +0 for Maven 2 is based on the little bit I dug into it
for the add-on stuff. It seemed to add a lot of complication
and extra more effort to do thing outside the "Maven 2 norm"
that was fairly easy in 1.  IMHO, build systems should take a
minimum of time away from your development time, not become
a subproject of it's own.

But to be fair, it could be I just didn't take the time to
learn it well enough. But if someone else is doing the work ;)
who am I to complain...lol

> - Make the generator more generic. I'd like to turn the
>   generator into a generic code generation tool

I'm +0 on the idea of the generic generator.  I can see the
worth in this, but I'm not sure it's a core Torque thing.
It seems like this should be like Torque and Turbine, some
of the ground work layed here but with a plan to split it
off into a separate project.  Plus, is this competing with
Velocity/Texen?  None of this is a show stopper, just thoughts
for fine tuning the proposal.

Here's some idea's I'll throw in the ring:

Better support for non-record type queries.  I.e., the
stuff people do with executeQuery / Village Records.  Queries
of this type that come to mind are:

- Optimized Join queries that return data from multiple
  tables (for creating master lists).

- Queries with functions.

To support this and also assist in the Village exorcism,
I'd propose making the BaseObject an actual storage
implimentation, like Village Record or ResultsSet.  Internally
the data would be stored as objects in OrderedMap with the
getBy/setBy methods being the BaseObject access points.

This would allow executeQuery to return a list of BaseObject
records.

Additionally, the generated record objects could make use
of this new base class to support things like isNull() on
primitives.  We could also use this to track modified and
unmodified column values, which would be very useful (e.g.
updating tables without primary keys).

Take a serious look at DDLUtils integration, and maybe do
a little encouraging to get that project to do a release/
Maven repo set up.

Some stuff that may be V4.5 features but might be nice to
start planning for:

Add full support for views, since most of the common DBs
support them. E.g., a way to define them in the DTD,
support for creation, etc.

Look at being able to generate object level "views".  E.g.,
I'm always creating "wrapper" objects that are based on
subsets of data from two or more related tables, with access,
load, and store methods.  I'm thinking this would be a way
to define business objects via XML and have them generated.

Support for "lazy" record object population.  Sometimes it's
better to retrieve a set of partially filled objects (e.g.
doing a master list), and only totally fill the object when
needed.  Adding an isLoaded option to the isNull, isModified,
column level tracking would make this fairly easy.

A GUID based idBroker method to autogenerate keys without
needing access to a table.

Duke CE Privacy Statement