db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject Opinions on adding new -D option to test-project cmd line
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:03:38 GMT
I've been working on a modification to the Test-project
run scripts to make it easier to test with the various
option combinations.  See:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-torque-dev/200611.mbox/%3c8F
5843B903F59D4C8C6806BB49A3911901E92738@dukece-mail3.dukece.com%3e

Before I get too far into working on this, I thought I'd
poll folks to see if the basic design is OK.

The goal here is to be able to do test runs using a
combination of locally defined DB settings (e.g., the
existing profiles) and a set of pre-defined Torque
Generation options.  This way you just define your
local test DB info once. Then run the test-project
against the combinations of options sets you need.

The best way to do this is to expand on how the
existing test-project uses <extends> tags in it's
project.xml file to work.  E.g., all test runs require
the command line option:

-Dtorque.test.profile=<db>

which causes the <db> profile's project.properties to be
added to the test-project's project.properties.

The change I'm proposing (and have a proof of principal
version done), is to modify the <extents> chain so that
the test-project extends a generation option set which
extends the db profile set. This means doing a test run
would now require a command line with an additional
option.  E.g.:

maven -Dtorque.test.profile=mysql -Dtorque.test.options=db-test1

Where db-test1 is be a directory located under a
run-options directory (like the profile directory)
containing a project.properties file with a set of
Torque generation options and a simple project.xml file.

The reason to do it this way is that project.properties
are immutable, i.e. once set they can not be changed.  So,
having the run options low in the extends chain ensures
you are testing what you think you are and not some leftover
settings in a local DB profile.

I'm planning on created the sets needed to do all the
option combination specified in the dev e-mail referenced
(plus documentations, etc).

For quick development testing, this should be a minor
change.  Just update whatever method you use in testing
mods to include your favorite option set(s).  (FWIW,
the two db specific tests described probably cover 80-90%
of possible problems).  If you have a personal favorite set
of options, just create your own run-options directory.

To validate a patch with the SVN head, just check out
a sandbox version of torque, apply the patch, copy in
your local db profiles, and run the appropriate set
of tests. This would be very easy to script the run
process (and maybe eventually do a results roll up).

Thoughts?  Other ways to do this? Enhancements? etc.

Greg
Greg Monroe <Monroe@DukeCE.com> (919)680-5050
C&IS Solutions Team Lead
Duke Corporate Education, Inc.