db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vand...@tewisoft.de>
Subject Re: checkstyle configuration
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:16:34 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> <module name="HiddenField">
>   <property name="tokens" value="VARIABLE_DEF"/>
> </module>
+1

> The extra curly brackets serve as a method to reduce the scope of the
> variable outputDirectory to the region where it is needed. In my
> opinion, this reduces the possibility for bugs and should not be
> reported as an error. So I'd like to remove the configuration tag
>
> <module name="AvoidNestedBlocks"/>
>
> from the checkstyle configuration.
+1

>  * Copyright 2001-2006 The Apache Software Foundation.
>
> which would allow the copyright year to be different across files, and
> people would not be tempted to change the copyright year in files which
> did not change in any other way.

Not sure about this one. We talked about this already. I don't tkink
this can be maintained in the long run.

> module, http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_coding.html#MagicNumber
>
> It says that any fixed number used in code should be a public static
> final constant. Although this makes sense in most cases, it does not
> make sense when specifying initial sizes for arrays, maps etc. Any
> thoughts ?

The question is what the real reason behind such a number might be.
Maybe some array, string buffer or map must have a certain size because
it is known to need at least STARTSIZE elements. I'd vote for a symbolic
name in this case because this makes the code easier to understand.

Bye, Thomas.