db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vand...@tewisoft.de>
Subject Re: case sensitive comparisons
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:23:46 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:
[...]
> UPPER()). When testing this, I was astonished to see that mysql by
> default does case insensitive comparisons by default.

It's worse. The case sensitivity in MySQL depends on the collation
setting of the database/table/column and may be different for each and
every column (although I believe that comparing different collations may
lead to errors).

> - Of course this different behaviour is not good for compatibility
> between databases. One can force mysql to make case sensitive
> comparisons by adding the keyword BINARY to the comparison. The manual
> says this can have the following side effects
> 1) trailing spaces are important (so obviously, they are not important in
>    usual comparisons, which sounds also strange to me)
> 2) it may happen that indices are not used efficiently.

I'd rather avoid this because of the settings mentioned above.

> good idea in my opinion. However, what we could do is the following:
> - use a Boolean instead of a boolean for ignoreCase in Criteria and
[...]

I would suggest to detect this at runtime if possible. Something like
"select 'A' = 'a'" comes to my mind. But this needs deeper thinking than
I can spare at the moment.

Bye, Thomas.